VHTV and the Chamber of Chatters

Here is an interesting topic of conversation for you…

Mobile touchscreen phones have been banned from being used at all when driving a car in the UK, or even when stationary, for road safety reasons which is fair enough and quite admirable.

Then what happens, motor manufacturers produce electric cars with all their main functions operated by, yes you guessed it, a b___dy big touchscreen at least 4/5 times the size of a mobile phone plonked right in front of the driver . Yet these are quite legal to use when driving. Try and explain to me the logic of that for gods sake or is it just my warped mind 😉.

A very good and valid point robwin.

Are they legal to use while driving? I thought you had to use buttons on the steering wheel to operate things while driving

No law against it, even the heating controls etc are all on the touchscreen as are the radio, sat nav and everything else. Some have kept the heating controls as manual knobs but not many.
Even those on the steering wheel you often have to look down to see which ones you are pressing. :joy:
Basically you cant use an electric car without some use of the touchscreen.

My son in law has a company car which is electric and it’s like sitting in an aeroplane cock pit and the bright colours are almost dazzling especially at night.

I didn’t realize that it was legal but the only electric car I’ve only ever drove was a Tesla and it has buttons for the media, it also has a voice recognition button so no real need to touch the screen while driving but I do agree the rules are not logical

To be honest i don’t know anybody who could afford to buy an electric car, they are ridiculous prices and most of the ranges are crap.
Almost impossible in my opinion to go on a long drive considering you have to return home as well :joy:
Even a b___dy electric Mini is around £35k or so, who can afford that.
I bet most of them on the roads are either on huge loans or leased and the seond hand values seem to be plunging like a bottomless pit.
Must be the easiest way of losing £1000’s.

About 30 years ago, as part of my job, I had to drive from Manchester to Redruth in Cornwall on a Friday. Do some ‘work’ (about 1 hour). Then drive back to Manchester to pick up my girlfriend, and then drive down to Stone in Staffordshire, as we were going away for the weekend. A total of 750 miles (1200 km) in 18 hours. Refuel once (about 5 minutes). Can’t see anyone doing that in an electric car… it takes far too long to recharge and they have a crap range even on a full charge !! :laughing:

Exactly. Who in their right mind is going to spend any type of money on a 5 -7 year old EV knowing within a couple of years you’ll be spending 20k or more to replace the batteries. Second hand value will be crap leaving the original owner with hardly anything to put down on a new one.

1 Like

Nobody with any sense would buy an electric car right now it’s just not practal moneywise.

we have two :slight_smile: In this country, more electric cars are sold than petrol/diesel now. There is a very well developed charging network. There are also greatly reduced tax and at the start there was free parking, toll rings, ferries and it’s possible to drive in the public transport lanes.

I had a road trip south to Austria, Switzerland and Italy this summer and drove over many alpine passes. Good with chargers all the way 4000 km without problems

Well many people forget to look at the fact how good petrol powered cars were when they were around the same time as electric cars right now. Let’s say electric cars are around now in bigger numbers for 10 years now we have to look at the range of petrol cars in the early 1920s… :wink:

Nobody i know can afford an electric car even if they would like one.
Absolutely ridiculous prices. :joy:

Wow many people could effort a petrol powered car in the 1920s? Less than people affording an electric car by now.

1 Like

Well we ain’t living in the 1920’s now just no comparision.
They were still using horse and carts then :joy: :joy: :joy:

What I am saying the time electric cars had for getting cheaper and more common is similar to the time petrol cars had til the 1920s. Just wait 5 years and each electric car will be better and same priced as any petrol car. The development is much faster there.

1 Like

Will believe it when i see it :joy:
You can buy a decent second hand car now for what the batteries cost for an electric car :joy:
Every year now the electric car is getting more and more expensive.
Too many people are trying to run before they can walk right now :joy:

Totally wrong. In fact they are getting cheaper and battery capacity and charging time is improving each year.

They may be in your fairy land but they certainly ain’t in the UK :joy:

I can speak for EU and US. This is for US:

1 Like

This rush for zero emissions is costing everyone 1000’s.
Even if the UK were at zero emissions now we would only account for less then 1% worldwide while China and India are even building more coal fired power stations like Germany are apparently.